Home Email (Cox ISP)

Live forum: /viewtopic.php?t=110

gorshing

03-03-2005 21:15:20

Last year on my previous linux box I had my own email setup. But now I am having troubles. Before I forwarded my mail to be sent to Cox, but I was able to receive them just fine.

I am having a few problems (which I really don't want to discuss) and was curious if anybody has Email working that has Cox as their ISP?

My problems could just very well be me and my stupidity ;)

Thanks

robertngreen

04-03-2005 12:51:26

As I understand it, all port 25 (smtp) trafic is blocked unless it is going to Cox's mail servers.

The one setup that I have done we go through Cox for outbound but inbound goes to another server outside of the Cox network. That seems to work for the most part.

I hope that helps.

wolfie

04-03-2005 12:55:57

I used to have a very similar setup until I got a business account. You could forward your mail through cox's servers, but could not receive mail. You can use stunnel to forward mail to a different port, but you would need a "friend" to receive your mail and forward it for you :). Or have another "outside" box do it, such as a hosting provider.

thekat

22-03-2005 17:53:49

As I understand it, all port 25 (smtp) trafic is blocked unless it is going to Cox's mail servers.

The one setup that I have done we go through Cox for outbound but inbound goes to another server outside of the Cox network. That seems to work for the most part.

I hope that helps.

Actually.. cox doesn't block OUTBOUND 25.. they do however redirect it
to only thier SMTP servers..

If you want to run your own mailserver you will have to use/pay-for a
"mail-reflector" service .. which redirects your incoming mail on
a "non-standard" port.
Currently there are 2 places that you can get this.. (that I am aware of)
NO-IP and Dyndns.org (both cost $40/year)

I use dyndns.. since my account is a business account with REsidential policies.. or something like that..

I didn't get any email addresses with my service so I wanted to set up
my own email server..
I do use Cox's smtp servers for my outgoing mail..

hth..