video conversion MOV->MPG

Live forum: /viewtopic.php?t=129

wolfjb

10-05-2005 11:33:45

Does anyone know how to convert QuickTime MOV files to any other format (preferably MPG)?

My digital camera (a Kodak DX7630) creates movies in this format (although I've seen a windows reader call the MOV file a MPEG4 file -- I'm to ignorant to know if this is the same thing or not).

I've tried playing the MOV file with xine and it definitely sucks - extremely choppy (play a second, pause a second, repeat...). I've tried with totem (tool from GNOME) which plays the video fine, but no audio.

Any hints are appreciated

robertngreen

10-05-2005 13:10:31

This is what I have found and some speculation.

To play mov's correctly and relyably with either xine or mplayer you are going to get the win32 codec package. (I know it is available for rpm and I have seen some tar.gzs out there). These are the windows dlls for the formats that xine/mplayer don't support yet. It is bad, evil, mean and nasty but it does work.

Now to the speculation. To create a mpg from a mov you are going to need transcode. I think transcode will use the windows dlls that you got above. You will have to read some on transcode. I know it is possable but if it accually doable I don't know.

wolfie

10-05-2005 22:24:23

I have transcode setup and ready, if you want to upload a file, I can see if I can do anything with it....unless you just want to play with transcode :)

wolfjb

12-05-2005 08:58:27

aparently, transcode contains non-free bits since debian doesn't provide a package for it. Is there an ebuild for it in gentoo? or where is the website since I didn't find it in my cursory glance at goole.

chad

12-05-2005 10:38:16

I believe the following source will get you transcode:

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main

wolfie

12-05-2005 12:51:31

emerge transcode will get you what you want in gentoo.

jaeger

09-06-2005 12:43:09

You say it's a mov file but windows thinks it's mpeg4... That's a bit weird. I would expect the camera to ouptut DV rather than mpeg4. What software did you use to capture it?

jaeger

09-06-2005 13:09:56

Regardless of what the file turns out to be, here's an idea of what you might do with it:

(I use a short DV clip for this example, which is MPEG2)

# tcprobe -i test-clip.dv
[tcprobe] Digital Video (NTSC)
[tcprobe] summary for test-clip.dv, (*) = not default, 0 = not detected
import frame size: -g 720x480 [720x576] (*)
aspect ratio: 4:3 (*)
frame rate: -f 29.970 [25.000] frc=4 (*)
audio track: -a 0 [0] -e 48000,16,2 [48000,16,2] -n 0x1 [0x2000] (*)
bitrate=1536 kbps

tcprobe gives some useful information about the input file as you can see above. Here's a quick example of a command line you might use to convert the above to an MPEG1 file for a VCD or similar:

transcode -i test-clip.dv -x dv -y mpeg2enc,mp2enc -F 1 -E 44100 -b 224 -o test-clip

The above command line uses the following options:

-i test-clip.dv : the input file
-x dv : the import module used
-y mpeg2enc,mp2enc : the video,audio formats to export
-F 1 : profile for VCD output (also has SVCD profiles, etc.)
-E 44100 : audio sampling rate (44100 for VCD)
-b 224 : the audio bitrate (224kbit/s for VCD)
-o test-clip : the output file

There are a ton of options for the various transcode import/export modules, check the http://transcoding.org/ wiki for more. It would take far too long to enumerate them all here and besides, I couldn't remember them all if I tried. :)

This will generate test-clip.m1v (video) and test-clip.mpa (audio) which then need to be multiplexed together with mplex or tcmplex.

mplex -f 1 -o test-clip.mpg test-clip.m1v test-clip.mpa

-f 1 : VCD output
-o test-clip.mpg : the final file

Hope this helps!