Power Loss

Live forum: /viewtopic.php?t=161

TheDanMan

18-07-2005 13:15:43

It is a fedora core 2 box. It lost power after the UPS it was on died. Now it hangs at boot on

Configuring kernel parameters [OK]
_

And thats where it sits. I boot to an older kernel, then it sits at starting Dr.Web. I booted with a grub parameter to run fsck and that ran and it said it fixed 2 blocks and told me I could reboot. I reboot and same symptoms.

Where next??

If I don't have it fixed by 5 oclock I'm running to PC Club and getting a replacement HDD to rebuild the raid.

TheDanMan

18-07-2005 13:18:34

Update, I let it sit there for a while on the Dr. Web Start and it starts Dr. Web and starts a few more processes and gets stuck at the Dr. Web Daemon. My guess is Dr. Web is fsck'd as well as my newer kernel. Which would be simple to fix IF I COULD BOOT ;-D Anyone know how to pass grub to boot without dr web?

TheDanMan

18-07-2005 13:23:53

I was able to kill Dr. Web from the boot process. Looks like I'll be back up soon.

wolfie

18-07-2005 22:55:07

Hehe, well looks like you got it figured out. You should always try to fix things in single user mode. Usually you can get there by placing "single" at the end of the "boot" line, except on gentoo, you have to pass "init=/bin/sh" now to get there. From there you can "fsck" your disks. Also a journaled filesystem such as ext3 or reiserfs or xfs, etc. will help you to avoid such situations )

Despite

19-07-2005 07:08:07

knoppix disc, always keep one on hand

TheDanMan

19-07-2005 07:44:34

knoppix disc, always keep one on hand

AND IT WAS!

Thanks for the advice wolfie and despite. For a second or two I was lost but found the path quickly. And thank goodness gracious that I keep regular backups because a few of the mysql databases that must have been busy at the time were borked. I restored them from the night's backup and I was back in buisness.

All in all, good quality experience, and now I have a shiny new UPS too -D

wolfie

20-07-2005 07:05:04

Glad to hear everything went fairly smooth. Also Gentoo live cd's are quite nice as well. I usually use them to resize lvm partitions )

TheDanMan

20-07-2005 08:08:00

Man, once I figured out how to mess with LVM, I use nothing but. I ran out of space on my webserver, my music that I stream via SSH (thanks wolfie), and it was upgrade or delete some music. Adding another more disk space to the array was a breeze.

Despite

21-07-2005 07:21:31

now try to move one of those disks to another machine...

wolfie

21-07-2005 09:20:37

You can, you just have to do a little prep work first )