topics..

Live forum: /viewtopic.php?t=138

Anonymous

28-05-2005 20:47:48

ok.. yall have had several months to get this wonderful forum
more organized.. I know everyone has jobs.. :-)
but.. it would be nice to know what topics are coming up for
the next month..
so how about a sticky limited to the moderators on posting
topics and meeting times ......
just my .02

wolfie

28-05-2005 22:30:09

I agree but the hardest thing is to come up with topics and find people to present them. Robert does a good job with coming up with topics, I think we just need to help him, and not only with topics but getting people to present topics that they are either interested in or would help out and present.

my 2 cents

community involvement is good for everyone.

Anonymous

30-05-2005 15:25:00

I agree but the hardest thing is to come up with topics and find people to present them. Robert does a good job with coming up with topics, I think we just need to help him, and not only with topics but getting people to present topics that they are either interested in or would help out and present.

my 2 cents

community involvement is good for everyone.

I agree also.. didn't realize yall didn't have more folks to "pull from" for
presentations.. Robert always does an excellent job..
Robert.. do you have any ideas for June??

wolfjb

01-06-2005 10:13:44

wolfie, can you do a distcc topic this month? That would be a cool topic. I can bring my laptop and maybe we can show it doing a compile on both machines.

Also, I can give a novice talk on ArchLinux which I have installed successfully and have run for a couple of days.

wolfie

01-06-2005 12:53:26

I had hoped to get my talk and slides put together at lunch on distcc, but Panera's wifi was down, I will try and get together something tonight, I don't think I will be able to show the cross-architecture piece because I don't have any different architectures at my house :)

If someone would be willing to bring, or donate another arch, I would be happy to show that. (hint hint) :)

robertngreen

01-06-2005 12:59:57

Since you seem to want to do distcc lets go for it. You will be the advanced topic.

Now for the altenate arch. I have a Sun Ultra 1 that I can bring. I just need to know what you want on it.

wolfie

01-06-2005 15:32:59

Well, I am no sun guru, but if you could get distcc installed on the box I should be able to handle it from there. I am a little shaky on actually getting everything to work, but that might be half the fun :)

We will also need gcc to be at version >=3.3.5

Other than that I can't think of anything else, everything else will need to be setup on my end.

I really need another small box to use for sig/play :) I think I might go shopping at www.surpluscomputers.com

TheDanMan

02-06-2005 08:54:49

I want to hear about different desktop interfaces like IceWM and Gnome and KDE and those that are crazy and want only command line for their fun.

robertngreen

02-06-2005 12:23:23

I know I would like to find a pile of some gateways I got a while back. They are nice and small. The only problem is that they don't have cdrom drives and would require getting slim-line cd drives.

May have to check the next state surplus auction. :-)

wolfie

02-06-2005 14:21:09

Well, I have a presentation ready for distcc, but since I am having problems building a cross-compiler for sparc, cross-compiling architecturesmight be a mental excercise :)

See everybody tonight

gimp335

03-06-2005 13:38:41

Oh man. Who went and put the first Thursday so early in the month?

Dag-nabbit. Oh well, maybe next month I will be more on top of things. But don't count on it.

wolfie

03-06-2005 22:39:55

I posted the distcc presentation here

I hope it serves well.

DataHound

27-07-2005 13:17:18

Yo,
I have several compadres who work with me and can do topics.

1. Voice over IP
2. Gentoo Install advice and demo of "emerge" , which is their package management.

To just name a couple. Each of these guys run Linux of various distributions, Red Hat, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

One is Red Hat certified, another manages Oracle databases on Linux(Red Hat), another has written code for the kernel.

So what I'm saying is that we would like to help out and participate in the LUG. We plan to come to the Aug 4 meeting.

Cheers

wolfie

01-08-2005 10:44:12

Welcome to the forums and I hope to see you all at the next meeting. I think a VOIP talk would be good, but as far as the Gentoo stuff...well we have already covered about as much Gentoo as I believe people are interested in. )

I am a huge Gentoo advocate and run nothing but Gentoo almost. With that said however we are pretty open to have anything presented that would be of some interest. Find Robert or me at the next meeting and we could probably work on getting some times established.

See you @ the meeting.

DataHound

04-08-2005 15:55:55

Unfortunately the VOIP guy is home sick, another had to work tonight, and I twisted my ankle....so we will try to make the next meeting. I will see if the guy with VOIP experience can join the forum and send a PM to one of you guys to schedule something. Have a good evening )

wolfie

04-08-2005 19:06:45

Well, unfortunately I too am missing the meeting. This doesn't happen very often, hope everything goes well. Yeah, just let us know and we will find a good time.

TheDanMan

26-08-2005 16:09:02

How long since there has been a meeting on Bash scripting.

Someone could do one titled "How to replace cooworkers that irritate you with really small shell scripts."

DataHound

26-08-2005 16:39:52

or how about "how to inform users that there is NO MORE ROOM for their data". This from a dba..