Beginner Topics

Live forum: /viewtopic.php?t=116

robertngreen

07-04-2005 10:03:56

What kinda of beginner topics would you like to see. We would like to be original but if there is enough call for older topics that we need to repeat post here.

Outside of the install fest and a session or two of the basics after that what else would you all like to see?

07-04-2005 12:16:34

I have a few. So far, I've only been able to attend one meeting, the install-fest back in November. So, forgive me if these have been covered.
Syncing with Palm.
Browser Plug-ins.
Setting up Thunderbird to use Firefox to handle links.
Setting up Firefox to use Thunderbird to handle mailto: links.

Give me some time. I'll come up with more.

Anonymous

07-04-2005 13:06:10

I think an outline of installing things, covering package managment for RPM based distros and compiling from source. I think the topic needs a basic outline of fileysystem structure and where the typical admin/user installs programs, i.e. /usr/local for programs installed system wide and installing programs local to the user as well.

Below are some other suggestions I have for new user topics.

Permissions
simlinks
bash aliases
xfree/xorg configuration/setup
explination of system/user PATHs and how to add to it.
file manipulation useing >> | grep etc.
how to interact as a linux workstation in a windows environment mounting file systems/samba shares.
explinations of compressing/uncompressing *.tar *.tar.gz *.tar.bz2
Command line network configuration using ifconfig and route
customizing the bash prompt with colors and other bash environment variables <all new users see a cool prompt and wonder how to accomplish that>
adding or removing a module with modprobe/lsmod/rmmod

This isnt exactly a well thought out post but those are somethings off the top of my head. I'd be happy to help with any of these things where I can.

Slashback

12-04-2005 02:26:01

My Ideas:
Locking Down Programs/files to users/groups.
SSHd with pam_chroot.
setting up a network connection using route and ifconfig.
Using tripwire.
finding suid programs and changing them to not be suid.
General security procedures.
using ettercap/ethereal/tcpdump forsimple networking problems.
Using gcc/g++.
Other less known window managers.
How string format vulnerabilities work :P j/k
Finally something everyone should learn: Compiling the kernel!

TheDanMan

12-04-2005 09:25:49

aptget
simlinks
permissions
where to find common config files
How swap works.

As a n00b those are things that would have got me going much faster.

gorshing

24-04-2005 15:51:56

Since everybody is basically an admin of their machine or a programmer. I would think things such as some bash scripting, alias, and different script languages ... basically things dealing with the command line.

I know these have been covered in the past, but people forget things, some people (like myself) miss meetings, and also newer people attending the meetings. I think that a list of beginner topics could be compiled and just cycle through the list ... which could take about a year or two.

Just my two cents

Jondular

25-04-2005 09:11:46

Here are some questions I have that may create a few topics to cover.

1) There are many versions of Linux out there. Which one is the best for a newbie to start with, and why?

2) On top of the versions of the Linux OS, there seems to be just as many User Interfaces, Again the same question, which is the best for a newbie to start with, and why? Followed by a side topic of how to switch between them.

3) What programs are a must have to get started with? apt-get, c compiler, e-mail, browser

4) How to compile, and install a device driver for hardware in your system that is not detected automatically.

These are the problems and questions I have run into so far. I hope this helps some.

Anonymous

28-04-2005 08:46:09

I've only attended one meeting thus far so I apologize if the topic has
been covered. I'd suggest introducing perl as a beginner topic (and as
an advanced topic as well). Most of the automated tasks I have personally
and professionally are implemented in perl.

I'd also suggest beginning C if there were enough people interested.

--------------------------------------
rlm13
rlmitchell@gmail.com

wolfie

28-04-2005 13:37:10

While I am by no means a perl monk....I have yet to reach ultimate enlightenment....I do use perl a fair amount, mostly for stuff with that other os. I would be happy to put together a simple and even more complex presentation and example of the power of perl.

I could also put together something for those that want to use perl to interact with active directory.....I know really the wrong place, but I suspect that a lot of people have to deal with it :)

chad

28-04-2005 15:27:25

Active what? :wink:

wolfjb

28-04-2005 16:34:57

In spite of Perl's market share, ruby would be a better topic. It is easier to understand than Perl and is as easily installed as perl. The only real difference is whether or not your distro installs perl automatically or not. Ruby hasn't made enough inroads yet to be automatically installed. However, both Perl and Python get installed (especially when installing GNOME) in Debian.

wolfie

29-04-2005 09:04:49

You really should see someone about your pent up hatred of perl :)

I don't know much about ruby, but I can't imagine they have enough modules? (or whatever ruby calls it) that give you the same broad functionality that perl does...please prove me wrong.

wolfjb

29-04-2005 18:04:44

ruby modules? I don't know how many perl has, but here is a page with some for ruby:

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/

looks like there are at least 1183 different projects

no!! I refuse to see a %->$_ for the perl hatred!! :twisted:

hehehe!